11.19.2010

Doin the daycare thang

So, I needed to bring a little money into the household. Looking at our financial situation there was I few options I could pursue. I could try and go back to work full time. Meaning I would need to put Logan into full time day care, stressing about being away from him, worrying about getting him to take a bottle, being sad, and bringing home about $500-$800 a month after gas and daycare costs. Or I could only work on the weekends when Jeremy was home. Which still meant worrying about bottle feeding and having to pump on the job. Boo. And still looking to bring in just $400-$700 a month.
Or I could take the same route my mom took when my bro and I were babies and run a little daycare out of my own home! Ding Ding Ding. I put an ad on craigslist and talked to my sis about what's fair to charge for a home day care. I didn't get a lot of bites at first and the lady I met with initially just wanted a few sporadic days to be covered when she didn't have family to watch her daughter.

   But, the next momma I met with was a perfect fit! First time mom, just like me. And approaches childcare for her daughter the same way I would for Logan. She keeps using me more and more, and always tells me how much her and her daughter love me. It can be a little tiring watching two babies but, I feel so great that I am now bringing in a little money. Not only that I get to be home all day with my sweet little Logan. I get to nurse him and care for him and witness all his special silly moments. I am soooo happy. Being a mom.. a stay at home mom.. was what I was meant for.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! If you plan to make this long term (I would say beyond 6months), you should look into getting your license under the home child care section (WA State Law). A lot of wives / families get tied up and in trouble, and it happens frequently around here (two military installations in close proximity will do that). Just don't want to see all your hard income go to fines when a baby is being a baby and falls backwards or rolls weird (like babies do) in a moment of excitement bumping his or her head on a wall corner or chair, creating a bruise, and infuriating a mother who then seeks legal action. Information is available online on the WA. And also, if you get licences, you'll most likely pull more customer mommies!

    Hope this goes well for you!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's it been handling 2? Kaia has gotten so easy. Still, 2 seems like a handful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be exhausted! :) I'm glad it's working for you!! P.S. your little man is SO adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I'm glad to see my number of readers is growing.
    I do plan, once the money is a little better to take an infant CPR certification, as well as to eventually get licensed. The licensing hasn't been required yet because I just watch one other baby.
    D, It's been easier than I even imagined to watch two. We sing and play and clap and the babies help to entertain eachother. It's really pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete